IMPORTANT NOTICE – CANCELLATION OF 2020 TRIATHLON – DEFERMENT OF ALL REGISTRATIONS TO 2021
The Tri the Gulf Triathlon (TTG) Host-Organizing Committee met to discuss the options available for hosting a successful TTG 2020. As we absorbed the magnitude of the global pandemic over the past few months, we discussed, analyzed and planned out every possible scenario that would enable us to have TTG in 2020. Based on guidelines from the CDC, the Federal government, state, county and the local authorities, we examined what a realistic version of TTG might look like during Covid-19.
Some of the considerations that we entertained and vetted:
- Cancel completely
- Cancel post-race after party, meal and awards celebrations
- Eliminate podium celebrations
- Eliminate spectators
- Check the temperature of all athletes, vendors, sponsors, volunteers and even spectators (if permitted)
- Modify aid stations to prepackaged food only and go to hands free water stations
- Require mandatory hydration packs to eliminate certain aid stations
- Shorten races or reduce total number of race options
- Start swims singularly every 10 seconds
- Require all triathletes to socially distance while on the bike and run courses
- Require masks all weekend and potentially while racing
These precautions and changes represent only a handful of tradeoffs that would be necessary for hosting a safe mass gathering in 2020. With these potential adjustments and being unsure of what the future holds, we still don’t believe that we could responsibly and respectfully guarantee everyone’s safety. We must think of every participant, spectator, volunteer, sponsor, vendor and the members of our local community and ensure that they will be confident and safe.
After weighing all of these options, it has become clear that the required changes would result in a significantly compromised version of the TTG experience that wouldn’t be as fun as our past events. Therefore, we have made the regretful decision to cancel TTG for 2020.
Deferral to 2021
If you have registered for the 2020 TTG, your registration is deferred to 2021. You don’t need to do anything else at this time. The date of the 2021 TTG is October 16, 2021. We can all still train! So, get out and #SwimBikeRun – and stay tuned for details on TTG 2021. The TTG Committee hopes that you stay safe and healthy.
About Tri the Gulf
Brought to you by the Mobile Bar Foundation, Tri the Gulf is a sprint triathlon on Dauphin Island, Alabama consisting of a 600 yard Gulf swim, 16.7 mile island + bridge bike, and 3.1 mile island run (short section off road on golf course).
The triathlon will be held at Isle Dauphine Golf Club located at 100 Orleans Dr, Dauphin Island, AL 36528